The 5, 10 and 15 week pre-sessional English courses are designed to help you to get the most from your studies at Roehampton at either Undergraduate or Postgraduate level.
This programme is ideal if you do not currently meet the academic English requirements of your target undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Roehampton.
The pre-sessional course will help you to:
- develop your academic English so that you can cope better with university-level study
- develop your study skills and understand what is expected of you as a student in the UK higher education system
What will I study?
- Essays: using reading in your writing, organisation, critical and analytical skills
- Academic vocabulary and grammar development
- Seminars: presentation and discussion based on your reading
- Lectures: understanding the argument, note-taking, taking an active role
- Listening and reading: understanding key ideas in an academic context
Outside your course we organise trips to famous London attractions to help you get to know the city and spend some fun time together as a group.Apply Now
- 5, 10 and 15 week options available
- 5 week programme is available as a combined CAS with your destination programme
- Full-time classroom based programme
- Assessment via a mix of coursework, presentations and exams
- 2017/18 Tuition fees:
- 5 week option - £1,430
- 10 week option - £2,840
- 15 week option - £4,195
- June (15 week)
- July (10 week)
- August (5 week)
You will be taught by experienced lecturers and academics who use their experience to develop your academic English skills in preparation for your chosen undergraduate or postgraduate course.
Your timetable will include lectures and seminars for 24 hours per week, and at least 10 hours a week will be required for self-study and coursework.Modules
The example modules that you will study on your programme are detailed below, the exact modules you study will depend on whether you study the 5, 10 or 15 week programme.
- Academic Writing
- Academic Reading
- Academic Speaking
- Academic Listening
- Using Grammar
- Academic Vocabulary Development
- Extended Essay (10 and 15 week programmes only)
The academic requirements of your target course apply. You can check these on the course page on our website.
English language entry requirements
The programme that you study will depend on your target course’s entry requirement and your current IELTS level. Please refer to the table below to see which programme you will be eligible for.
To meet IELTS 6.0 with 5.5 in all sections (most undergraduate degrees) To meet IELTS 6.5 with 6 in all sections (most postgraduate degrees) To meet IELTS 7 with 6.5 in all sections (Research students and some postgraduate degrees) You have IELTS 4.5 overall with no less than 4.0 in any band and no less than 4.5 in writing 15 week programme* N/A N/A You have IELTS 5 with no less than 4.0 in any section and no less than 4.5 in writing 10 week programme 15 week programme* N/A You have IELTS 5.5 with no less than 5.0 in any section 5 week programme 10 week programme 15 week programme* You have IELTS 6 with no less than 5.0 in any section N/A 5 week programme 10 week programme You have IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.5 in writing and 6 in other sections N/A N/A 5 week programme
* Please note that you must hold a UKVI IELTS
This table shows the minimum length of course you need to do. If you are worried about reaching the level you need in this time, for example if you find learning English particularly difficult, you should consider taking a longer course.Apply Now£Tuition fees
The tuition fees for the programme are detailed in the table below.
Tuition Fees 5 week programme £1,430 10 week programme £2,840 15 week programme £4,195Assessment and progression
The coursework assessments and exams which make up your final grade on the pre-sessional programme will directly test your ability to read, write, listen and speak academic English to ensure that you are fully prepared to progress on to your chosen destination course.
Your final grade will be based on the following 5 elements, which are graded on a scale from 0 to 5.
Course element Assessment Academic Reading Reading assignment
Academic Writing Coursework essay
Academic Speaking Presentation
Academic Listening Listening exam Extended Essay Extended Essay
To successfully complete the course and be admitted on to a University of Roehampton degree programme, you must achieve the following grades:
- Undergraduate – overall score of 3, with no less than 2 in any element
- Taught postgraduate – overall score of 4 with no less than 3 in any element
- Research postgraduate – overall score of 5 with no less than 4 in any element